July 15, 2010

My Habitat Day

I have a lot of time to spare. A bullet on my must-not-be-idle list is to "Look into volunteering". Habitat for Humanity felt familiar. I think the professional organization I was part of while in college, SME, organized to do this (correct me if I'm wrong Mikey) a few times? Why I didn't participate then, I don't know.

Renewed curiosity and it's popularity lead me to research our area for Habitat opportunities that supported a cause I would like. I convinced a good friend who I haven't seen in months and also job hunting to participate. You'd be surprised at how the volunteer calendar quickly fills up. It took us over a month to get slots. That's good to know. 


The site we worked on will benefit teenage mothers in partnership with Zoe's Place upon completion at the end of the year. Zoe's Place offers a safe haven for teenage mothers so that they may have the opportunity to turn their lives around. Read more about this great cause here. I like this cause because I have friends who are and were single mothers. The friend with me is one of them. I don't know how they do it and I have such respect for these super women. (Hi Menggay!)


This project will eventually house five teenage single moms and a house mother. It will be simple and well made complete with a kitchen, two bathrooms, a living area, an office, laundry and of course the bedrooms. The house mother well acts as their mother and will be their guide and occasional baby sitter as they go to school or work.


Come lunch time, we were brought food by members of the girls scouts movement. Also volunteers! They brought sandwiches, potato salad, pasta, brownies and drinks. It was a welcome surprise. Thank you! I was starving!


It was a rainy day which was the perfect weather for this kind of thing. I can't do this in the middle of that heat wave the previous week.

There were two college looking guys, a lady who was at least 75 years old, a girl who just moved from California, my friend, me and Tim the site supervisor. Tim is in construction. He shared how his business was hit hard when the economy dove the past two years. He had just built 23 condominium units and nobody could/would buy them. Can you imagine having millions worth of property stagnate? He has been volunteering his time. He shared that people come from every background you can think of with one thing in common - to help with their time. One good thing about this recession? It has given people more time.

Yesterday was accomplished by volunteers. Tim, us, the girl scouts. Somebody had heard of it, someone knew someone who did it, a friend recommended it. It just spreads. I suppose it doesn't matter what your reasoning is. The point is, people came and something was accomplished. The day's activity gave me a better view of one American characteristic I've begun to notice in my years of living here. In my opinion, philanthropic. With all the grass roots movements, fund raisers at the office etc... 

I think helping/volunteering overlaps and is two way. It's so easy to just click a button, donate moolah and feel like a saint. But when you're there in that house where change can possibly happen, you come home a little bit more thankful.  I came for selfish reasons. I won't sugarcoat it - I was bored. The night before, I was figuring out how to knead dough for some biscotti goodness. The next day, I was mixing concrete, slopping on the gunk and securing a window frame.  Instead of staying home for the day getting insane in the membrane, a window frame won't fall out. I'm glad I did this. They DID ME a favor more than I did them. Keeps things in perspective.  

At least once, I say give it a shot. Go here for your nearest location. Every bit counts.

Follow chelleponce on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you, Minggay! Keep up the good work. It's wonderful to see the human spirit come alive. Bayanihan: USA style!

    ReplyDelete

See you again soon okay? =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails