May 02, 2009

Shop & Save Fashion At The Bus Stop



The Port Authority Bus Terminal is a strange place to be shopping at even if I wasn't a commuter but a tourist. It's not unsafe but most times there's a gillion people swarming around you, sometimes weird, strange people at that. Had a semi-scary experience two weeks back where this dazed, high guy whose face was all beat up and blown started talking to me and saying insane things about the world while I was waiting for my tickets to finish printing from the vending machine. I kept my cool, ignored him but still kept an eye on his movements and got ready to get the hell outta there. Anyways, it's just not a place where you'd hang out at for long periods of time.

BUT, for the month of May, a pop up shop (they're everywhere these days), Save Fashion, will feature different brands and designers on the corner of 41st and 8th Ave. A good number of sales people (fashionably dressed at that) were picking up after people and security was milling around so it wasn't messy or unorganized. The racks were properly labeled with brands and stocked up. It was an in between Barneys warehouse sale and sample sale atmosphere. I spied Boy by Band of Outsiders button down shirts and vests (almost snapped one up), Rick Owens' deconstructed tank tops and hoodies (the "secret" designer), Jcrew's Madewell tops, jeans and leather jackets, Melissa footwear, Charlotte Ronson plaid tops, Filippa K dresses and rompers, Cardigan cardigans etc... etc... I didn't see anything priced over $200 and $25 - 30 tops were many. I'm not exactly sure if regular commuters would bother (unless they were fashion students or shoppers) but hey why not? The foot traffic on that corner is high and tourists abound left and right, lots of companies too with workers that can check it out on their lunch hour. It's a good way for brands to sell out more of their past season inventory without the craziness and mess of sample sales too. They need all the help they can get in this 'wonderful' economy and this month long event can create a bit of buzz for them. I would have taken photos but I had but five minutes to catch my bus. Check out Racked's coverage here and here instead.

Next week, I'm checking out Rogan and Rag & Bone.

(photo credit: google images)

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you again soon okay? =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails