January 17, 2009

It Has Hit Home

I feel like I've been on autopilot since I got my admission results end of November. Getting all the school requirements in order prior to registration -- tuition deposits, figuring out /accepting federal school loans and completing immunization and health forms. I was in and out of the doctor's office for two weeks. I had to get booster shots for MMR and Tetanus and get checked for Tuberculosis. The skin test for TB given to me came back positive so I had to get chest x-rays to verify having it or not. I didn't know that the skin test usually came back positive for majority of Asians until the doctor said so. Of course I initially freaked. My parents are like "oh yeah, we all have it". I go to our local hospital to get 'x-rayed' and the health dude with me said "it's an Asian thing, don't worry". A Pinoy colleague was amused at my ignorance. The whole time I'm thinking, great, how come I have never heard of this Asian TB thing before!??!!? Does everyone know but me??? Sorry, I'm Asian I'm automatically a candidate for TB?!??!! Just like that??!?! Anyways, I thought that was weird/funny. The culture things you end up discovering. My chest/lungs x-rays came back clear so I am good to go with all the medical school stuff.

Work was a little hectic too just before we shut down for the Holidays. With the economy slump, we weren't as busy as last year (eating at your desk, OT) but of course there was still prep work to be done for year end inventory in January. I had over a week off which I spent hibernating/obsessing on FIT. I only went out of the house to hear mass and hang out with my soon to leave Korean friend. As soon as we went back to work on the 2nd, it was manic again and this time, I had to tell my boss my school plans and that I wasn't going to stay on full time at Zegna. The day after, I get into that mini car mishap which I just brushed off as I wasn't hurt and had more important things going on.

My boss didn't want my resignation letter and wanted to work with whatever class schedule I would have. Maybe part time a few hours or days out of the week. This is why I tried to register for the best possible schedule. Hey, don't say no to money right? If I can have familiar work and study at the same time, why not. But this just didn't pan out. She disclosed in confidence to me that they are going to start laying people off in other departments. Our department is safe, in turn, with me leaving, I am saving one job as they're to transfer someone into ours. Since I had nothing else to lose, I just shot for the moon and asked my boss if she can just lay me off too or if I can volunteer to be let go. This way I'd get unemployment pay/benefits. But due to technicalities, this was not to be either. I think when there's a lay off due to hardship, the position should not be replaced. It doesn't hurt to ask. Anyways, I have agreed to stay on and train twice a week until the transfer's able to work independently. This starts next week. I'll be out of work by early February by my estimates.

This morning, I wake up to a text message from my good girl friend saying that she has just been laid off from Ralph Lauren which she joined six months ago. She had mentioned the possibility to me a few weeks back so it wasn't that much of a shocker. Of course there 's no way of truly preparing for it. She is handling it so well. Her news triggered a flurry of questions. I kind of freaked though with what the F I was doing. Everyone around me is fighting to keep their jobs and I'm doing the complete 180. My decision has long been made and I'm as prepared as I can be. But with the way the economy is, doom and gloom all around and then you actually know someone close, a single mother at that getting the ax. It is inevitable that you get affected and examine your work/life decisions.

I went to an early yoga session this morning. I've gotten better at quieting mental chatter after two months. As the class was winding down and we started meditating. The yogis do individual stuff to you, press your shoulders down, pray over you, help you stretch or do these swishy things in the air with their hands over your body etc. My favorite yogi noticed something was off when he came by my mat and just said, It's okay, just let it all go... With those words, I just fell apart. Flood gates opened. All the "stuff" finally caught up to me. School preparations, manic work, leaving work, the car accident, an effortless connection/friendship with a person leaving, a girl friend getting laid off, not having your best friend with you, the industry you work for currently not looking so bright and shiny, yada yada yada. As the class ended, the yogi gave me a hug without knowing any details and sent me off.

I am not sad at all. I feel that the stars have aligned the way they should. No complaints whatsoever. I am thrilled out of my winter boots to learn and immerse myself in the field that makes my heart beat fast. But when you're in a whirl and you step back (in my case at yoga) and see it in the clear. It just hits home. Frenzied emotions I've been absorbing nonchalantly. I do not have an iron heart. I've just been well, busy. American living maybe? You have to actively catch yourself.

Whoa! Wrapping this up now. Long babbling post. I am glad that I got that out of the way. It's good to reset. I have orientation next week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you again soon okay? =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails