October 28, 2008

Chanel Mobile Art #3 New York

Security, ushers in matching Chanel windbreakers and payongs.

Rain or shine, I was going anyway. It rained alright. Thank goodness it wasn't freezing. Waited two hours to get in with my mom. You check in your coats and purses. (absolutely no photography allowed!) A headset is given set to the language of your choice. You are then instructed to just follow the woman's voice. (Jeanne Morreau) And my, whatta voice. She tells you when to proceed, stop, look and turn. Tells you to take your time and let your thoughts wander. Be in the moment, relax, let the art take you. Woozah...

I would say it took about 30 minutes. The exhibit was all about how selected artists interpreted the iconic 2.55 quilted purse (one day ). I don't know much about art so I will not attempt to rate what I saw. One by Argentinian artist Leandro Elrich did get to me. Several lines were said but to paraphrase ---"Sometimes I prefer the reflections of things than the objects themselves".

(photo credit: jcreport.com)

At the last bit, you get to write a wish on a hang tag and tie it to a wishing tree by Yoko Ono. Hey, why not? I wrote down __________ (kaya nga wish eh!!). I wonder though what they would do with the tree after all this is done. They should preserve it in a Chanel museum. These are real people's wishes/dreams!!!



After all this is done, you get to take a piece of the experience home in the form of these cards (part of Artist Sophie Calle's interpretation) and a magazine specific to the City you visited.

Itty bitty panoramic shots of Zaha Hadid's vision turned reality from my cellphone.

The mobile art "case/container" was amazing in itself. Because I did take up engineering then, it was but normal (or maybe not) for me to wonder how they pulled assembling and disassembling this thing from city to city. Of course, I researched. If you're curious enough, check out the clips at the official website: http://www.chanel-mobileart.com/

Two words to sum up this art experience: Mental Spa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you again soon okay? =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails