April 05, 2010

Ohayo Tokyo!!

April already?? Eeep! My vacation posts are sooooo late. Better late than never as always right? First up, TOKYO! Trend hungry! Trend driven! After my industry respected product development professor repeatedly spoke of the importance of Tokyo in fashion. It was a no brainer. Armed with just Frommer's Tokyo and a haphazard go to list, we explored. We stayed at Keio Plaza Hotel, a few blocks away from the world's busiest train hub, Shinjuku Station. Getting to any point of the city was easy because the Metro and JR Lines stopped there. We did goood in five days, there was Harajuku, the day trip to see Mt. Fuji-san, the tea ceremony, daiso (100 yen store), midnight Lawson’s runs, walks around Shinjuku etc… but I’m going to just bullet point my favorites!
  • Meiji Dori & Omotesando Dori - because of the breadth of stores that were along these tree lined streets. It reminded me of Rodeo Drive, a better one. I liked the Oriental Bazaar for the well-priced/made souvenirs, Kiddie Land for kawaii toys and novelties and Comme Des Garcons’ Play Box. I couldn't resist, I got myself a navy/white striped tee!
  • Roppongi – Where we had a yummy merienda of sweets at Patisserie Sadaharu Aoki Paris in Tokyo Midtown, hunted for Castella cake at the Precce Food Market to bring back and had our first yummy dinner at Gompachi. Tuna, foie gras, kobe beef skewers with pickled rice in a hot pot and sake! Sake!! The night time walk lead to discovering a good view of Tokyo Tower too!




  • Tsukiji Fish Market – It was my fault that we didn’t get to see the fish auctions early morning because I was hammered by the foie gras. Having duck in any form really knocks me out. Uhm high cholesterol? =) We made it just in time for must try Sushi-Dai! It was a 1.5 hour wait at this teeny, tiny, cramped place but I had the best toro sushi of my life!!! The melts in your mouth kind. It wasn’t cheap but seriously, how more fresh can you get!!! The Itamaes (sushi chefs) were entertaining and engaged with us while preparing and plunking down sushi at the counter in front of us. I vow to come back to witness the trading and eat at Sushi-Dai again!!! Never mind the looong wait. It is worth it!!




  • Asakusa – We caught the Sumida River Boat Cruise at Hara Mikyu Garden to get to Asakusa. This was a welcome break from the walking. The view would have been prettier had it been cherry blossom season. Another reason to return. The start of Nakamise Dori is marked by Kaminarimon Gate - right red with a giant lantern. I loved it. It was mochi, dorayaki and souvenir galore at this street. The Five Story Pagoda was a sight at night. Sensoji Temple was closed for renovation but we still said our thanks, prayers and tiu-cham’d. I got a good, good one.
  • Ginza – For three things – food, fashion brands and Hello Kitty. Every luxury brand, specialty department store, mass market brand imaginable – Muji!!!! Uniqlo!!! can be found in Ginza. With the recommendation of good friends, dinner was at Ten-ichi at the Sony Building. I had the best tempura and fattest scallops of my life!!! Like Sushi-Dai, the place was small and could only seat 16 persons max. It was our most expensive meal yet but again worth every Yen. It was cool seeing the chef pick choice ingredients, prep the batter, dip and then frying away right in front of you. All done with flourish and neatness. Try sprinkling your tempura with curry powder and dipping it in lemon with a pinch of salt. Yum!!! Our second trip to Ginza was with empty stomachs. We were lucky to pick ABC Noodle Shop at random. The ramen and mini gyozas were soooo good. Sprinkled with freshly ground sesame seeds? Yum!!! Oh Sanrioworld!!! Hello Kitty’s my No. 1 but seeing Little Twin Stars was awwww just the same. I wanted to hoard elementary school supplies, stationery, stickers, utensils, plastic wallets, mirrored compacts etc… but settled for a Hello Kitty cell phone charm. Sanrio products can just take you back in the day you know



  • Shibuya Crossing – We stationed ourselves at the second floor of the Starbucks café with grande macha lattes to see the action better. Said to be the busiest intersection in the world, yep, the volume of people was wow. It was a sight to see. It was here that I saw fashion subcultures everywhere. Goth, lolita, anime, prep, pink/black, floral, rock etc… etc… Thanks to a Yokohama-based college classmate for showing me. It was also here where we saw just how jam packed like sardines the trains could be. I get it though, why wait for the next train, after a long day’s work, you just want to get home so just squish yourself in!! My friend and I had a ball fighting our way off the train!!!




The Mandarin that my friend and I know was helpful but the train systems are easy to navigate, clean and quiet. We were out and about early and went home late but not once did we feel unsafe. Customer service was above average at each place we went to - at the hotel, restaurants, stores, tourist attractions. I wanted to voluntarily tip generously but couldn’t. No tipping allowed! The street fashion was street. It was a mish mash of different styles that just worked. I couldn’t stop looking and taking pictures. The quality of food, the packaging, the merchandise – oh how kawaii!!!! I have nothing but praises! I SHALL RETURN!! In my book, it’s official - I Love Tokyo. Tokyo is Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you again soon okay? =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails