May 28, 2009

Michelle The Intern


It was my first day today and I enjoyed it a whole lot. I saw and sent samples for F/W 09 to fashion magazines, introduced myself to the Celine Madison Ave. boutique staff, was sent on a research mission and did sell through reports.

The mission was to scope out stores for markdown signages, discount percentages and foot traffic and report what I observed to the buyer. I walked a total of 5miles up and down Madison and 5th Avenue. It's only now that I feel the pain in my legs. When you're so into what you're seeing, you don't give a damn. I was asked by some store staff members what I was doing with my note taking. I told them I was a student yada yada yada and was just observing and applying what I'm learning. They were pretty helpful. Of course I didn't mention I was a Celine intern and was really looking at competition. It's fascinating how luxury brands try their bestest to be discreet about having sales to uphold and protect brand image. The signs were microscopic and the merchandise were not even labeled with the markdown prices. To me, this is done so that the customer gets curious, asks about pricing and therefore engages with the sales associate. Sales pitch time. Since Madison Ave is more for the locals versus touristy 5th Avenue, there were definitely more sale signages on 5th. Specialty Department Stores Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys skipped visible signs on their windows and opted for sale racks. By the way, footwear's on sale! A few women were going bananas.

Will markdowns continue? for now YES! Will they be as deep as last season? Sorry but NO! It seems like consumers will have to be re-trained to shop full price. Everyone's just waiting for markdowns these days regardless of brand level. It's a changing fashion world out there. As Kenneth Cole said on WWD last week, “these are not only the toughest times, but they are also the best, because it’s only in tough times that people look for creative alternatives,” “If one is inclined to truly make a difference and make an impact, there is more of an appetite today maybe than ever before,” Cole added. “There is more that’s broken; there’s more that needs to be fixed. There is more of an opportunity to significantly impact a very sustainable and transformative voice. It’s a great challenge and a great opportunity, and we are all very excited about it.” Exciting times I must say. I'm glad I'm in!

Celine has just tapped ex Chloe designer genius Phoebe Philo. There's quite a buzz about her first collection and I can't wait to be in the middle of the transition period. Aaaah!!!! I'm a mere intern but I choose to learn!! I choose to learn!!!! Grabe, kadaldalan na to. Excited lang talaga. Market week in June will be something to talk about again. Daldal!!! Daldal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you again soon okay? =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails